Julie H. Huang-Lionnet MD, MBA as Associate Faculty at 18th Annual American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine (ASRA) Pain Medicine Meeting in New Orleans, LA.
From American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
New Orleans, LA (November 14-16, 2019) – Dr. Huang-Lionnet, M.D. was invited to teach as Associate Faculty for the 18th Annual ASRA Pain Medicine Conference among several hands-on ultrasound and fluoroscopy workshops for practicing physicians. The workshop curricula provided highly interactive learning and hands-on practice using live models and cadavers on the use of ultrasound and fluoroscopic technology for interventional and diagnostic pain procedures. Dr. Huang-Lionnet’s first workshop during the ASRA meeting with Faculty Dr. Reda Tolba, M.D., Dr. Sandeep Amin, M.D., Dr. Alaa Abd-Elsayed, M.D., Dr. Anuj Bhatia, M.D., and Dr. Maunak Rana, M.D. covered major joint denervation techniques with radiofrequency and cryoablation, including articular nerves diagnostic blocks for hips, knees, and shoulders. The sessions included covering MSK sonoanatomy of shoulders and genicular nerves of the knee with scanning of peripheral structures and education of ultrasound-guided knee radiofrequency ablation techniques. This workshop also incorporated discussion of recent RAPM publication by Fonkoue et al. with reviewing their cadaveric studies showing anatomical landmarks for the superior medial, superior lateral, inferior medial genicular nerves, the recurrent fibular nerves and the infrapatellar branch of the saphenous nerve. Further clinical studies would be necessary to understand optimizing current treatment technique based on their results.
Dr. Huang-Lionnet subsequently co-led one of the Neuromodulation workshops with ASRA Faculty Dr. Steven Falowski, M.D., Dr. Dawood Sayed, M.D., and Dr. Timothy Lubenow, M.D. This workshop covered the common indications for spinal cord stimulation, percutaneous techniques of needle insertion and positioning of epidural electrodes for dorsal column stimulation, implantation techniques, and steps in managing common complications, including dural puncture, epidural space infection, among other related management. Dr. Huang-Lionnet’s last workshop concluded with ASRA Faculty Dr. Steven Cohen, M.D., Dr. Talal Khan, M.D., and Dr. Jeffrey Petersohn, M.D. and covered Lumbar and Sacroiliac Joint Radiofrequency Ablation Techniques using Cooled, Multipolar, and Traditional approaches. Dr. Huang-Lionnet also co-moderated ePoster sessions with Dr. Amit Gulati, M.D. and Dr. Trusharth Patel, M.D. on cases presented by residents and fellows trainees as well as physicians in-practice.
These workshop courses were all designed to provide CME accredited, evidence-based techniques and review of current treatments in these topic areas. Further information of the scope of the annual meeting and related programs is provided below from ASRA. Exciting developments and highlights for 2019 ASRA meeting included:
- Sessions on radiofrequency ablation, updates on advanced interventional procedures, and treating patients with challenging conditions, including fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and headache.
- Presentations from internationally renowned basic science and clinical researchers from a diverse field of pain medicine specialties including neuroscience, psychology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, pain management, and neurology.
- Insights on “The Future of Pain Medicine.”
- ASA/ASRA practice management sessions designed for interactive discussion on coding/compliance, managing a variety pain practice settings, and issues pertaining to patient retention and risk management.
- Hands-on workshops in areas of ultrasound and fluoroscopy including radiofrequency ablation techniques, regenerative medicine, advanced interventional techniques (vertebroplasty, percutaneous spine decompression), and surgical practicums.
- Credits that apply toward ASRA’s Pain and MSK Interventional Ultrasound Certificate requirements.
- Dedicated PA/NP/Nursing program and targeted interactive sessions on intrathecal therapies, professional development, diagnostic imaging and electrodiagnostics, and the incredibly popular hands-on physical and neurological exam workshop.
- Abstract submissions, moderated ePoster sessions, PBLDs, interactive sessions, Data Blitz, award luncheon, and more.
- ASRA 18th Annual Pain Medicine Meeting
- Pain Medicine Meeting Program - Schedule in Detail
- ASRA Scientific and Education Committee and Faculty Members